- Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
- Retell stories, including key details, and demonstrate understanding of their central message or lesson.
- Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.
- Identify words and phrases in stories or poems that suggest feelings or appeal to the senses.
- Explain major differences between books that tell stories and books that give information, drawing on a wide reading of a range of text types.
- Identify who is telling the story at various points in a text.
- Use illustrations and details in a story to describe its characters, setting, or events.
- Compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in stories.
- With prompting and support, read prose and poetry of appropriate complexity for Grade 1.